Microsoft Access platform allows organizations to manage data transactions, collection, storage and retrieval. Access is a powerful tool when used designed by experts. It allows having a relational database, dealing with large amount of data, performing actions with external data sources, running complex queries, collaborating among multiple users. Moreover, it has adjustable user interface features that provide comprehensive usage.
MS Access Advantages
Solutions designed in Access take advantage of connectivity with other Office applications:
- integration with Excel and SharePoint for data storage and consolidation needs
- PowerPoint and Word can serve for visualization needs
- integration with Outlook offers automatic updates and data accessibility.
Developing a solution in Access is attractive in terms of budget-effectiveness ratio. Moreover, it is usually more agile.
Microsoft Access is a relational database management system (RDBMS) which offers simple & flexible solutions for data storage & retrieval for individuals, small businesses and large organizations. Access allows you to implement solutions by using computer systems & software within the organization. It is frequently used in organizations to produce RAD (Rapid Application Development) applications. It has a huge advantage in that a prototype application can be written very quickly, sometimes in as little as few days, and then shown to the users. The strength of MS Access is that with the proper mastery of its features, you can create database applications that meet the needs of your organization quickly and cost effectively.
- Access database (.accdb) file size - 2 GB for a single database file (This limitation can be bypassed by using a split database. A front-end database file can point to thousands of back-end database files, each of which could be as large as 2GB)
- Number of objects in a database –32,768 objects (Maximum)
- Number of modules – 1000 modules (Maximum)
- Number of concurrent users – 255 users (Maximum)
Access The Data
Why Microsoft Access may be a good choice for your company's database development?
- MS Access is available with the MS Office Professional suite, therefore no additional database software is required if you have this suite of products already installed. If not - MS Access is significantly less expensive (100 $) than either SQL Server or Oracle.
- MS Access is the most widely used desktop database system in the world and is likely to be available and supported for years to come by Microsoft
- Access has more support and development consultants than any other desktop database system
- MS Access is significantly cheaper to implement and maintain compared to larger database systems such as Oracle or SQL Server
- MS Access consulting rates are lower for Access consultants compared to Oracle or SQL Server consultants
- Fairly complex databases can be setup and running in shorter time and lower cost compared to other large database systems such as Oracle or SQL Server (the simpler the database - the greater the cost advantage).
- Access integrates smoothly with other applications in the Microsoft family (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint etc.)
- Third party support for MS Access databases is very common. For Example: interfaces to external databases
- Access databases can be ported to Oracle or SQL Server. This is important if you want to start small or develop a pilot database system and then migrate to the larger database management systems
- Access supports multi-user (Up to 255 concurrent users)
A Microsoft Access system can be placed on a website for access for remote users. Simple screens can be developed within Access, Data Access Pages. Full control and functionality can be implemented using Active Server Page (ASP) programming.
Access database tables allow various data types and connections. Access also includes an easy-to-use interface options, enabling to report and retrieve data. Access Jet engine provides the required functionality to support data transactions standards. Access enables developing applications also based on SQL (structured query language). This feature allows performing complex data manipulations. It is possible to perform both internal and external transactions to data bases using SQL in Access. In SharePoint environment based on Access Services, it is possible to enable multiple users viewing the database from their Web browsers.